Re: [LUG] network tools and windows

On 23/01/13 22:57, bad apple wrote:
> On 23/01/13 22:33, paul sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Just wondered if windows still had tools such as whois,  netstat,  ping,
>> nslookup included,  I am asking as one of the rugby club members asked
>> me who owns the paigntonrugby.co.uk domain,  being a linux user I used
>> whois,  and got the answer easily,  (well sort of, got a company
>> name,but no other details such as address)  just wondered if these tools
>> are in windows,  i had heard some were being removed.
>>

>> thanks
>>
>> Paul
>>
> whois is conspicuous by it's absence, but the other 3 you specifically
> mentioned are all there on windows (pretty much every version, at least
> that I know of) along with a decent raft of other cmd tools.
>
> However, despite the fact that I seem to have accidentally become the
> Microsoft defender around here, I must warn you that if you're used to
> Linux you will *not* enjoy the cmd line environment on Windows because
> it's, well, crap, basically. Options and switches don't make sense or
> are missing entirely, syntax is often misleading - it's just not nice.
> Powershell - which is nice - can be used to do whois, amongst countless
> other things and is very, very powerful but is also complex, often
> confusing and enormous overkill for what you wanted.
>
> If you ever find yourself having to do "actual serious work" on a
> Windows box and you're a Linux expert, you will want to do yourself a
> massive favour and immediately install cygwin. This is such a lifesaver
> it's the very first thing I install on any Windows box I have to deal
> with, even before Firefox (and even before uninstalling Java).
>
> www.cygwin.org
>
> Regards

Thank you for all the responses so far :)
This wasn't about bashing microsoft,  its about being able to ask
windows users to do this sort of thing from there end, as in run whois,
so they can answer the questions they are asking me,  if people are
aware of these  tools they will probably use them.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org
http://www.ubuntu.com

I am committed to safeguarding chidlren, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.