Re: [LUG] Crunch Bang Linux Install - blog post

On 14/01/13 15:50, bad apple wrote:
On 14/01/13 15:37, Roland Tarver wrote:
Hi Folks,

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/crunchBangLinuxInstall

Yesterday I installed Crunch Bang Linux on my new netbook. I have
written a short blog post about my installation experience. It's only
from a novices perspective - so NO laughing! lol :-p

If you have time and the inclination please cast your eye over it for
spelling, grammar, readability and working hyperlinks etc. I have run
it through the OO spell checker so it should not be too bad!

Many thanks
roly :-)
- off to work now (...so slow to reply...)

Just quickly read through it and it seemed fine: regarding the lengthy
delay, I think you just missed an option in the installer (I've not used
CrunchBang personally, so for all I know it's not actually there) if
it's anything like it's parent distro Debian. Because you asked it to
encrypt the disk, Debian by default secure wipes the system first - this
accounted for the 3.5 hour wait. You can either tell the installer to
skip the secure wipe stage, or cancel it as as soon as it starts.
Problem solved.

Cheers

Thank you Bad. :-)

I don't *think* I missed an option but its certainly possible. I wonder if you choose to encrypt the disk, whether it just cracks on and securely wipes the disk too. I kinda guessed that the long delay might be related to the encryption...

Many thanks
Roly :-)