Re: [LUG] Auto Radio player Thing

Thanks all for your help and suggestions - got it working, now just
needs a bit of testing.

I did end up using the rpi because it's quieter and, well, damned if I
know where I left the charger for that Toshiba...

Using the stock raspbian wheezy image, I then "apt-get install vlc".
Ran out of space so deleted zoneminder and mysql (from mucking around
earlier) and did it again.

I added a script to /etc/init.d which, after init faff, calls;

su pi -c '/usr/bin/cvlc http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/wm_asx/aod/radio4.asx'

(You can add other users of course, but pi is already added to audio group)

Now on start, it runs that and starts playing out through the 3.5mm
jack about 1.5 minutes after power supplied.

Wifi I solved by halving my aims and making it non-portable, using two
ethernet-over-power adapters so it gets dhcp and internet via rj45.

Earphones will work fine for this use.

Ready for herself to try it later. All she's got to do is plug it in
and off it (should) go!