Re: [LUG] Operating Systems We Have Known And Loved (And Hated)

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:11:05 +0000 (GMT)
CHRISTOPHER BERRY <christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello CHRISTOPHER,

>My first computer (in 1983) was the Texas Instruments 91/4a.

99/4a, in point of fact.

>Did anyone else have one?

No...

>Has anyone else heard of it?

Yes (obviously)   :-)

>And how about working with 'sprites'?

I started out with a ZX81, with the 16k RAM pack.  The infamous wobble
was hell, so, I avoided it by soldering the RAM pack in place on the end
of an extender card which was designed to take other hardware add-ons.
I don't recall whether anything used it.

I then moved onto Atari 8-bits.  First, the 800, then the 130XE.  When
the 16 bit machines became more affordable, I moved on to a Commodore
Amiga 500+, then an A1200.  The 1200 got a tower case, and various
hardware upgrades (68060/PPC processor board, VGA GFX, PC Keyboard
adaptor).  Cost me a fortune, of course.

When the Amiga was on its last legs, I finally moved on to Linux in Dec
2000.  Initially Mandrake, then when that became Mandriva and wouldn't
install correctly on my machine for some reason, I moved on to Debian.

Since that time, I've only had two machines.  The first was a 686 AMD
machine, the current one a dual core AMD_64 one.  I wonder, in that same
period of time, how many hardware upgrades the average Windows user
would have had to make?

--
 Regards  _
Bet you thought you had it all worked out