Re: [LUG] are MS dumping .net

On 07/01/13 20:10, paul sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> http://www.i-programmer.info/professional-programmer/i-programmer/2591-dumping-net-microsofts-madness.html
>
> does this mean MS are dumping .net,  according to this artiicle if they
> do they could be in trouble
>
> Paul

That 'article' is barely coherent. Trust me, in a world where countless,
massive multi tens-of-thousands seat organisations are barely beginning
to shift from XP and Excel spreadsheets with a bunch of crappy VB macros
and even thinking about upgrading (and in many cases, not bothering
because there isn't enough of a business case), .NET isn't going
anywhere anytime soon.

Half of the world's economy probably has .NET running it. You could be
18 and just starting your programming career right now and .NET would
still be a perfectly viable choice. Sure, MVC, WPF, C# and
html5/javascript are changing the game a little but my best friend is a
.NET guru and recently turned down a cool job using all of these new
technologies in preference for staying where he is on a guaranteed,
boring and reliable mortgage payer. He makes a catastrophically larger
amount of money than I do. He will also happily admit that he's a lot
less good with tech than I am.

The briefest perusal of the latest and greatest Visual Studio 2012 will
rapidly disavow you of any mistaken beliefs that .NET is dead, it's
still very much one of the crown jewels in the MS ecosystem. I actually
sent my friend that article link earlier and he laughed hysterically
down the phone at me. The entire world's banking systems have IBM
z-series at the backend, .NET as middleware and a few weird-shit
proprietary we-just can't-get-rid-of-them boxes* scattered in the mix.
And Windows at the front. Linux may own supercomputing, embedded
operating systems and webservers, but it's not even a rounding error for
the banks. And they rule the world.

Regards

*Obviously, I can't name names here *cough* Co-operative Bank VMS/Alpha
cluster for ALL batch processing *cough*