Re: [LUG] Bletchley Park/TNMoC [Re: DCLUG don't leave me..]

On 04/01/13 07:47, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Adrian Midgley wrote:

One of these days I'm going to Bletchley Park.

I'm not suggesting a coach trip, but when people get round to doing
things, the list is a good way of letting it be known.

I've been twice.

I will not be going a 3rd time.

However I will be going to the National Museum of Computing again which is on the same estate.

Please be aware that these are two separate entities and you pay to get into both. It's also rather confusing if you want to go into one but not the other. (And I think BP deliberately make it so)

Full explanation here:

https://projects.drogon.net/a-visit-to-the-national-museum-of-computing/

It takes at least 4.5 hours to get there (and 4.5 to get back). You will want to spend all day there. I would strongly suggest going up the day before and staying in B&B.

And take a packed lunch, although I've heard that the canteen on BP is being run by a new company as of Feb. this year. TNMoC has a small cafe.

Gordon

Coincidentally, there is a 1 page write up in this months Current Archaeology on the Computer Conservation Society who built the replica of Colossus at Bletchly Park and maintain other machines. Their website at www.computerconservationsociety.org gives more.

George