Re: [LUG] disclaimer text

On 4 Jan, 2013, at 11:19 am, Brad Rogers wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 10:22:19 +0800
Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Kai,

Crikey does one have to disclaim everything nowadays?

It's getting that way.  We live an ever increasingly litigious
society.   :-(

Whether the lug should have one IDK, IANAL.

Can I suggest a deliberately provocative and simultaneously dismissive mockery of a disclaimer? Something akin to Private Eye's "We refer you to the case of Arkell v Pressdram", in which they famously replied to a specious writ in two words: "Fuck off." -- and then won in court when the incensed ambulance-chasing lawyers tried to make something of it. There are a lot of litigious gits out there, but the courts are (at least occasionally) not idiots.

Those who really are of the ambulance-chasing ilk may (at least occasionally) be effectively deterred by the threat of applying to have them listed as "vexatious litigants", which (nearly) completely bars them from initiating cases.

In other words, legal bottom-feeders are looking for ignorant and frightened victims. Show them we're neither and they will indeed fuck off and choose a softer target. Add some theatrics and the word will go around very quickly: don't chance it bringing these guys into court with a dodgy case, the risk to your own rep is too high.

IANAL, but I've spent hundreds of hours in court (look at all those parenthetical qualifying subclauses).

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63