Re: [LUG] Bright Ideas to gain access to a system whose display has just broken...?

On 02/01/13 17:11, Roland Tarver wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Happy new year! :-D
>
> Someone has just sat on my net book and broken the screen! (balls!) Screen
> is totally unreadable.
>
> Tried to plug in an ext. monitor but mint 12 requires mouse clicks to
> activate the ext. monitor. Since I cant see where to click, I cant activate
> the ext. monitor. Anyone know another way to activate it?
>
> From recent previous posts, my netbook does have a static IP address and I
> can ping it....
>
> I have tried to ssh to it (see below) but I dont think ssh is
> installed/setup :-s
>
> roly@Nemisis:~$ ssh roly@xxxxxxxxxxx
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.2 port 22: Connection timed out
> roly@Nemisis:~$
>
> That's the first time I have tried to use ssh, so, please let me know if
> the syntax above is incorrect - I dont think it is though....
>
> Just wondered if anyone had any other bright ideas? Any other remote access
> tools that might be setup "out-of-the-box"?
>
> Cheers roly :-)

God, that's not a good start to the new year...

Are you sure your netbook doesn't have a Function key combination to
switch between internal and external displays? It's usually activated by
something like the Fn+F5 keys together. Look carefully on your keyboard
for a symbol that looks like two monitors (or at least, an abstract
approximation of that) besides each other and toggle that on/off with
the Fn key to see if you can get the external display to come up.

Otherwise, can you login to the netbook "blind"? Wait until it's going
to be at the Mint login screen, and input user/pass. Wait for login to -
presumably - finish and bring up a terminal (should be CTRL+ALT+T).
Immediately enter:

sudo apt-get install openssh-server -y

And sit back for a minute or so. Then retry to ssh in from Nemisis. Your
syntax was fine by the way. Just checking - do you have a firewall on
the netbook? It may be that ssh is running but port 22 isn't open.

Good luck.

Cheers