Re: [LUG] Misunderstanding the Free Software philosophy

happy almost-new-year, dclug.

2012-12-28, heb yr Simon Avery:
A fair point and well made, although personally I try to use FOSS to
distinguish against "free" which means to most people "Oh, I don't
have to pay for it?" and nothing else. That perception won't change.

surely people are not unfamiliar with the term "free speech"?  surely they don't
think it means free minutes on their cell?

the understanding that software *is* speech is far less common, i'll admit.  i
personally take that as a deficiency in people's scientific education, and one worth
correcting at every opportunity.

FOSS is also free, but not all free is FOSS.

interesting.  that is not my understanding of those terms.

as applied to software, i understand "free" to entail "open source", but not the other way
around. (more on my interpretation of "free" below.)

furthermore, i understand FOSS to mean "free *and/or* open source", which (given my
understanding of its constituent terms) is logically equivalent to simply "open source".

consequently, whenever i see FOSS applied to a project, i suspect the project might
*not* be a free software project.

the current wikipedia page for FOSS suggests i am not alone in this interpretation:

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_Open_Source_Software
 FOSS is an inclusive term that covers both free software and open source software,
which
 despite describing similar development models, have differing cultures and
philosophies.

as for what it means for software to be free, i think of free software as the
project that creates freedom of speech, one text at at time, starting with texts
composed in formal languages.

i consider the following four-part definition intuitively satisfying as a formal analysis of
the motto "free as in speech, not as in beer":

from http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
A program is free software if the program's users have the four
essential freedoms:

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

* The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it
  does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source
  code is a precondition for this.

* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
  (freedom 2).

* The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to
  others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole
  community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the
  source code is a precondition for this.

some comments on the above:

on f0: running a program is akin to reading a book (even if it's your processor that
does the reading).  banning books restricts freedom of speech.

on f1: this is akin to the freedom to privately criticise and edit a text.  it's a
pretty poor freedom of speech that keeps you from doing this. also, wrt to access to
source: it's not a free-speech world if you, an english speaker (=literate
programmer), are only allowed to read shakespeare (=original source) in, say,
japanese translation (=binary, for purposes of the analogy).

so truly free software is always open source software.

on f2: you can't exercise freedom of speech if you can't share a given piece of speech with
your neighbor.  "oh sure, you've got freedom of speech.  read whatever you like.  just
don't say XYZ to your neighbor, and you'll be in the clear."

on f3: "for your public performance of a blasphemous parody of the The Holy Book, we
sentence you to..."

my two cents, and surely not the last word on the topic.

cheers,
wes

ps: i have been lurking on and learning from the dclug list for a couple of months,
and i'd like to thank all of you who post here---askers and answerers alike---for
the free, friendly, and expert education i've received so far.