Re: [LUG] Extra Storage for 'locked devices'

I've used the following, in the past, which does not require the device to be rooted.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.viewer&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

It worked well for what I wanted at the time - this free app only works with images, the same developer produces a more general app which costs a couple of quid.

Malcolm

Anthony Williams <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 22/12/12 08:54, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 22/12/12 08:21, tom wrote:
>> Just wondering about portable drives for devices with no sockets -
>> thinking about a Nexus when they come on sale again
>> Could one not make a bluetooth or USB connected drive that would be
>> accessible to the device or are they just too slow?
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> http://www.howtogeek.com/129800/how-to-use-usb-drives-with-the-nexus-7-and-other-android-devices/
>

> You need an OTG cable, MicroUSB one one end and a USB type A socket on
> the other end.  Looking at the link though it appears the device has to
> be rooted, I don't know if that's the case with other Android tables.

I've got an OTG cable for my Nexus 7. It works really well with
Stickmount, but that needs the device to be rooted. Supposedly you can
also use USB drives without rooting if you use the right "media manager"
app, though that might limit it to whatever "media" the app handles.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/
just::thread C++11 thread library             http://www.stdthread.co.uk