Re: [LUG] VMWare Workstation Fix

On 21/12/12 17:34, bad apple wrote:
Just posting this in case anyone else runs into it.

If any of you have the misfortune to have to use VMWare Workstation
you'll probably be familiar with the fix patches distributed from here:
http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/

In short, VMWare are completely incompetent and their flagship
Workstation product (as well as the free Player tool) routinely fail to
compile the necessary kernel modules to run after install on any vaguely
modern kernel, and I really do mean, every single time. On all distros,
and on pretty much every kernel you'll have to find the correct patch,
modify it to your kernel revision and cross your fingers. Recently even
the patches haven't been working as VMWare have broken their bootstrap
utility so it will complain about not finding your (completely validly)
installed linux-headers package. By some miracle I've just found and
tested a proposed fix, and it works.

I used to have exactly the same experience as you until I started using the evaluation/beta test releases as a free download. Since then, I've done maybe 3 VMWare Workstation upgrades and have had no recompile prompts after kernel upgrades.

Happy days...