[LUG] Strange Problem 2

Success!!  Thanks bad Apple for your persistence.

Setting the SATA to AHCI did the trick and I was able to boot from a Mint 13 64 bit CD. The USB settings were set OK and I tried it on the USB with no joy. It still dumps me into BusyBox. I'll burn Mint 14 to a CD and try that.

The distro has a 'compatibility' mode which has "nosplash noacpi noapic" but, critically, has no "nomodeset". Running compatibility mode without the nomodeset does not work, but add nomodeset and I'm looking at a LinuxMint desktop.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/15425/unable-to-find-a-medium-containing-a-live-file-system-error-when-installing

This post mentions USB and setting SATA to AHCI (which I couldn't find first time round)

http://www.overclock.net/t/720622/unable-to-find-a-medium-containing-a-live-file-system
This contains the reference to SATA 3 and 6

Again, thanks to everyone, and the very entertaining side-track into Debian.

George