Re: [LUG] Strange Problem 2

On 20/12/12 16:52, George Parker wrote:
> Thank you everyone but no joy yet.
>
> Doing cnt alt F6 or cnt F1 does nothing because I don't have a
> display.  It's not that I have a blank display, the monitor is not
> synced, it is not receiving a recogniseable signal.
>
> Removing the quiet and splash options does not help.  I get a few
> pages of text and then the monitor goes blank, the green light goes
> yellow signifying no signal.  Likewise adding VGA=791 or any other
> number results in the same failure. But it does seem to boot OK, not
> that I can see it.  I think the boot sequence is switching to some
> graphic mode that radeon doesn't like (as suggested by Bad Apple I
> think.)
>
> I installed Kubuntu, which worked, but I didn't like it (fussy aren't
> I) and I'm now trying Xubuntu, but I hate the ads I keep finding.
> I like Robs idea of trying a graphics card and I'll have a root in the
> attic when I get the Xmas lights.
>
> I have read the thread started by Tom and I couldn't see anything that
> could help.  He too resorted to Xubuntu it seems.
> I really do want Mint.  I think I'll write to the Mint community now.
> I've had a trawl and there isn't anything on there.. yet.
>
> George

Sorry chief, I completely ignored your previous request about defending
Debian and just posted a massive screed doing exactly that anyway :]

But back to your problem, this is definitely fixable, so let's get to
it. You can actually install Mint all the way through correct? If you
can, then we just need to make some minor modifications to it
post-install, as obviously your graphics hardware is preventing you
interacting with it at all to fix the errors. We are going to need the
command line I'm afraid, so I hope you have another computer to read
instructions from whilst you're fixing the new one.

The process will go something like this (full step by step instructions
to follow once we have a bit more info):

Install Mint fully
Reboot holding shift to access grub2 boot prompt
Select recovery mode to get a basic text console
Remount / partition in r/w mode for fixing
Get network operational
Fully update packages, add optional repo for better driver support
Install fglrx and probably updated xorg packages
Reboot
Profit!

The whole process following the initial install should only take about 5
minutes.

So, just to make sure: what is the exact hardware again, and exactly
what version of Mint are you aiming to get functional?

Cheers