Re: [LUG] GSM Modems for sending SMSs

Yes, I have done this.

One of the Huawai "Soap on a rope" usb GSM dongles with a normal sim;
" ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem /
E230/E270/E870 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem " dangles out of one of my servers.
When a user enters a new record on our internal maintenance tracker,
the perl calls the following;

my $sendcmd = "echo \"$send_msg\" | gnokii --config /etc/gnokii.conf
--sendsms $sendsmsnumber ";
system($sendcmd);

It sends a text to our handyman so he's aware as he's not usually
plugged into email.

Obviously, gnokii is installed on the server and handles the nitty
gritty. It works well, mostly. Occasionally needs unplugging and
plugging in again, never found out why, but doesn't happen often
enough for me to look into.