Re: [LUG] KGPU: Augmenting linux with GPUs

On 16/12/12 18:26, tom wrote:
> On 16/12/12 18:00, Philip Hudson wrote:
>> https://github.com/wbsun/kgpu
>>
>> --
>> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
>> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63
>>

> Excellent - I was wondering how to get my 80GFLops processors active
> when they arrive!
> Tom te tom te tom

That's *really* low end these days - I'll shortly be getting my hands on
one of the new AMD S10k FirePro cards with nearly 6 TFlops of single and
1.5 TFlops of double float throughput. You can team 8 easily enough in a
supermicro or similar chassis with enough PCIe3 slots, CPU and RAM grunt
to keep the beasts fed at full throttle. Obviously out of reach for
normal home users, but not if you wanted to invest the equivalent of a
decent BMW's price in bitcoin mining gear or whatever.

I hadn't seen that project before and I'm really interested in GPGPU
stuff so I had a good look through their github sources - it's probably
worth pointing out that they're refactoring their code at the moment and
the old version is, well, old, and the current stuff is listed as so
unstable it's dangerous. Probably not even worth compiling for a test
until they release a more complete version when they're ready. It does
look very interesting though.

Regards