Re: [LUG] strange problem...

On 10/12/12 22:11, Rob Beard wrote:
On 10/12/12 21:11, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Strange. I bought a zoostorm laptop for my daughter and installed
Xubuntu 12.04 with no trouble. That was in July and so far no problems.

Hope you can sort it out...

Neil

I think it might be related to the chipset.  This Zoostorm PC has an AMD
A8 APU which is one of the new processors with integrated GPU on the
die.  They're fairly new (I think they've only been about about 3 or 4
months) so it's possible that support is still catching up.

My work laptop has one too, it's a Samsung machine and installing Mint
13 with the AMD drivers in the repository it would work but come up with
a watermark on the screen saying "unsupported hardware".  This is what I
expected on the Zoostorm desktops but unfortunately they weren't as well
behaved, but they do work with a bit of fiddling (I'm guessing it's one
of those things when a newer distro comes out with a newer version of X
and newer video drivers it'll work fine).

Neil, has your daughter's laptop got an Intel processo Maybe her
machine has better supported hardware (I find from experience that Intel
graphics generally work out of the box, well that's been my experience
with Intel graphics, not sure if this is still the case with the newer
Ivybridge Core i series CPUs.

Rob

I am not sure about the processor but I think it is Intel. I will check and get back to you. I know my desktop has Intel on it. I have installed Xubuntu on that too and so far so good.

Neil