Re: [LUG] Well, that's a bit disappointing....

On 05/12/12 10:21, paul sutton wrote:
On 05/12/12 07:43, tom wrote:
On 05/12/12 01:14, Roland Tarver wrote:
Google does not do ODF. I had always assumed they had (but never
checked). Would love to see them support it in the future... chances?

http://www.muktware.com/4529/why-google-killing-open-document-formats#.UL6dVK0cxUw

Cheers roly :-)

Why do people insist on paper shaped documents? ODF if merely a case
of FLOSS following MS down into  the wrong level of hell.
In a couple hours a decent programmer can take fckeditor and merge it
with a version control system.
In a week they could merge the above into a full blown access control
system and that 95% of any internal/external documentation
requirements for almost every company/organisation sorted - and your
web sites too!
And no printing required.
Tom te tom te tom

Because the powers at the top insist on printed paper

take the rugby club for example,.   we have e-crb system that is
quicker,  however we still need to fill out a paper form,  so this can
then be transcribed on to the website,   partly as the document HAS to
be signed by the applicant in order to

a) act as proof of ID
b) that you have consented to checks being carried out

Its not the clubs fault,  its the people further up.

Yeah its annoying,  thankfully when I do print them out I just print out
the bits that are needed,  not the information pages.

The danger is, that when we do find a way round this it will be a
proprietary solution anyway and will ignore open standards,  will cost
money etc.

Paul

You can print HTML you know just do the form in that!
Tom te tom te tom