Re: [LUG] New printer

On Friday 30 Nov 2012 18:53:24 Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On 30/11/12 18:32, Julian Hall wrote:
> >>
> >> I have done some more searching and what I have found will please
> >> Simon Avery even more!!!
> >>
> >> I have found out that inkjets lose a lot of their ink inside the
> >> printer, partly when the heads are cleaned, which is collected in a
> >> small tank and by some absorbent pads which live somewhere inside the
> >> printer. This could eventually cause a mess so the manufacturers also
> >> include a counter in the software. This will count every page that you
> >> print and when the counter reaches a preset value you get this
> >> problem. The lights will flash and the printer will no longer work.
> >>
> >> The plan is that you should send your printer to have the pads
> >> replaced and the tank cleared out. This will cost more than some new
> >> printers. So you may elect to buy a replacement. Either way more
> >> profit for the manufacturers.
> >>
> >> There is a program available to reset the counter but it is of course
> >> Windows only.
> >
> > And officially only available to the printer manufacturer's technicians
> > anyway.
>
> Right, but I found it available for download. Then I checked it to see
> and it was Windows only.
>
> Neil

Hi Neil

Disconnect it from the pc and try holding down different button combinations
while powering it on to reset the page counter, the combo is different for
makers and models. Google will probably help you find the right combo. My
sisters epson scanner / printer was displaying call engineer, 20 mins after
she dropped it off i had it working and as she had already bought a new
printer she let me keep it. You can also purchase bottles of ink and blunt
needle syringes and refill through the breather hole or drill a new one. Get a
syringe for each colour then you don't contaminate. Beware though ink spills
are permanent!
John (IRC Led43_xxx)
--
Registered Linux user number 414240

Guy Faulks the only person to enter the Parliament with honest intentions and
he was going to blow them up !