Re: [LUG] xscreensaver slide show

On 29/11/12 12:26, Philip Hudson wrote:
> I can't believe I'm having trouble finding this: an xscreensaver
> module that just plays a slideshow of all the photos in a directory,
> with no melting or rainfall or travelling lenses or anything, just
> showing the #$%$ pictures in random order. To run under XFCE4 DE, so
> not a gnome-screensaver or kscreensaver module. You'd think this came
> as standard with every screensaver engine there's ever been... I'm
> probably missing something obvious.
>
> --
> Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
> @UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63

I can't believe I'm recommending this, but if you install Google Picasa
(yes, seriously) as well as getting a pretty decent snapshot organiser
and viewer program, it adds itself as an option to your xscreensaver
choices. You can specify which folder(s) it accesses and some other
basic options like delay and transition effects as well, if I remember
rightly. I think F-spot used to do this as well, any maybe Shotwell does
now? I don't know, it's difficult to remember what default apps ship
with what distro these days. I happen to know this because a lot of my
less demanding home users seem to really like the option of having
screensavers that page through their family photo archive at random,
along with adblocked internet access and simple email it seems to be a
killer feature for some reason so I've set it up many times on Linux and
Windows before.

On Linux inevitably you might have to search out a trick or two to get
it working neatly, like writing a quick .desktop entry or something, but
there's loads of topics covering this out there on forums and the like.

Cheers