Re: [LUG] OT Linux based anti virus cds

On 28/11/12 21:54, paul sutton wrote:
Hi
I am looking into LInux based anti virus cd's  and found the following site

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-av-cd.html

just wondered if anyone had an experience in this area and perhaps some
suggestions.

I would assume cd's being read only makes them more immune from the type
of virius that may try and infect a flash drive type device that are
generally read / write.

Basically looking for something like the system rescue cd, but for anti
virus.

This may benefit others here too,   esp those with friends who use
Windows but also complain of getting viruses.

Paul

Nearest thing I've used to them is something like a Live CD with ClamAV. Ideally you still need an internet connection to get updated anti-virus definitions, and if they're Windows viruses you're trying to get rid of chances are they won't run on Linux anyway.

So maybe you'd be just as well having a USB stick with a Live install of Linux and some sort of persistent storage to keep the AV definitions and programs themselves up to date.

Not sure if maybe a USB stick with a physical write protect switch on it would do the same job as a CD as presumably it boots up and mounts a ramdisk anyway.

Rob