From: Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:28:43
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [LUG] Anyone used MariaDB

On 18/11/12 20:35, Edward Finlayson wrote:
> Hi all, I have a db of around 60 Million records and was wondering if
> I could get a tangible performance improvement by switching to
> MariaDB as it claims several improvements over current MySQL which
> Oracle are known to want to kill thereby removing competition. Do you
> have any experience with these two DB, and are you willing to share
> your 'real-world' findings; if so I'm really interested to hear
> them.

What is the current bottleneck?

If you don't know optimisation is going to be a slow process.

What type of queries are too slow, and what is too slow.

What optimizations have you already made of the operating system, of the
MySQL configuration, and the queries.

My experience of databases is that switching databases is usually the
wrong approach to performance issues, unless there is some compelling
relevant weakness with the database in use (like it doesn't offer a
suitable index for the queries you want to do), or it lacks some sort of
relevant feature entirely (even then there are often workaround that
keep within the same order of magnitude for performance).

This is more likely to be true with such a small database, which can
presumably be stuffed into RAM completely if performance matters, so
even when the optimizer messes up you don't hit the IO subsystem hard.

I don't have specific experience of MariaDB, the benchmarks show it has
a marginal lead in throughput which is what you'd expect if they have
forked MySQL tidied up some corner cases of the optimizer (which does
idiosyncracies which you have to program around sometimes). You trade
what is a huge userbase for MySQL who have found all those bugs for this
performance, so I'd be very wary of making the change.

On the otherhand with MySQL I've seen reordering the tables in
apparently irrelevant ways cause a several orders of magnitude
improvement in performance for specific queries (e.g. A.id = B.id versus
B.id=A.id). Which again is typical of a database queries not using
indexes efficiently, or not spotting they can use indexes.

I'd also add that probably 90% of database performance issues I've seen
have been solved by creating appropriate indexes, which may reflect that
most of them didn't have a database administrator. A fair proportion of
the remaining issues resolved simply by reconfiguring from default
settings for the database (more memory, more connections, more (and
less) effort in the optimizer).