Re: [LUG] Panasonic HD recoder

On 16/11/12 19:14, bad apple wrote:
> On 16/11/12 18:35, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:13:59 +0000
>> bad apple <ifindthatinteresting@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello bad,
>>
>>> The mind boggles. Are you saying that you need to register on a website
>>> somewhere, and that website somehow doesn't support any browser running
>>> on linux? I must be missing something, surely...
>> You have to d/l the player, which runs only on Windows or Mac, and
>> register devices from within that software.
>>
>> 'Asinine' doesn't even begin to cover it, IMO....
>>

> Thanks for the info Brad - that's a pretty amazingly crappy setup that
> only a room full of suits could possibly have thought was a good idea.
>
> I wish to god that this sort of stupidity still surprised me these days,
> but, well. Sadly, it seems to be the norm.
>
> As an aside, what the hell? DivX? In 2012? What possible point is there
> in it's continued existence? Especially with this sort of 'value-added'
> hoop-jumping nonsense attached.
>
> I googled the product and immediately noticed it can't even play mkv
> containers over the network (it's DNLA equipped) so they've crippled the
> most useful non-TV related feature out of the box, just like Sony's PS3.
> Apparently it will play back mkvs from local USB storage but will refuse
> DTS soundtracks, amongst others. Mind boggling.
>
> So Kevin, if you like money, take it back for a refund. If you're a
> badass, and/or hate money, don't take it back: take it outside and BURN it.
>
> Cheers

This is what  happens when schools don't teach open standards and that
people are taught that MS are industry standard.,  they go in to
management with a totally odd view of the real world of IT and what is
actually out there.

I suppose the irony of the situation is that most of their servers
probably run on Linux

I guess all you can do is write to them and report the FAULT, and ask
them to fix it,  and if the techy can't fix it,  sack em and replace
with someone that can fix it.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111