Re: [LUG] wifi hunting

On 16/11/12 14:29, tom wrote:
On 16/11/12 09:46, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
On 16/11/2012 07:24, tom wrote:
On 15/11/12 23:14, Kevin Lucas wrote:
On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 19:31 +0000, tom wrote:
On 15/11/12 17:05, bad apple wrote:
On 15/11/12 16:33, tom wrote:
I live in the sticks and am having weird wifi problems!
It seems to be another router broadcasting on the same channel as mine
- mine is set to choose an empty channel but this one joins in! And
this seems to upset everything.
My neighbours (20yds way) donât seem to thing its them and the nearest
other neighbours are 1/2mile away but line of site.
I have a few machines a few yards apart so was wondering if anyone
knew of a way of triangulating to see where its coming from so I can
pop round and see if I cant set them up differently?
Tom te tom te tom

That's... odd. It would be easier just to scan and see what channels are
currently in use - presumably it's going to be only your neighbour and
yourself for a total of 2 channels (1 if they are both broadcasting on
the same channel as they seem to be). Now set your router to broadcast
on a different channel instead. Job done - you don't need to mess around
with triangulation or anything like that.

Are you sure your neighbours haven't accidentally put their router into
repeater mode or something stupid like that?

Regards

My router was set to find whatever channel was free. 1 was free then the
other router - definitely not mine - came on on the same channel.
I set my router to 2 and the other router - definitely not mine - came
on again later on channel 2. SO I set mine to find a free channel again...
Its 30db down or so on my signal according to iwlist and quality for my
cell tends to run at ~50/70 and it was down at 17/70 from this machine.
Its not there all the time but when it pops up the wifi goes
reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly slow and is v unreliable.
Tom te tom te tom

Is it an Android phone being a Wireless hotspot?

I donât know what it is! I donât have an android phone - no-one here seems to have one. It may be a farm worker with one I suppose but I need to be able to locate it to find out.
Tom te tom te tom

Just a thought ... you could try turning your router off and see if the 'rogue' AP still appears... if it disappears then it looks like it's own router.

Dave

It is definitely not my router.
Tom te tom te tom

Have you looked at inSSIDer2? There is a version for Linux (.deb) at http://tinyurl.com/bu2dzt6.

I haven't tried it but it does seem to have a lot of the functionality of WiFi Analyzer for Android which I do use.

Phil