Re: [LUG] Android upgrade

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012, Rob Beard wrote:

Big thing for me is what offers I can get on contract too.

I abandoned contracts years ago and always now buy phones unlocked, sim-free.

GiggGaff is the way to go. Cheapest PAYG (and really PAYG not use it or lose it!)

I'm spending half what I was a month on my calls, txts and 3g now than I was when I was with O2 (same network, half the cost!)

  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gordondrogon

Their "Goody bags" can be a bit confusing at first, but you don't need them at all, but if you do use them, then they last one month then expire - leaving any existing top-up credit there for you to carry on with.

I appreciate that for some, getting a phone on a contract is the only way though, but do shop around - look for good, but end of line phones, etc. and do not be afraid to jump networks - most networks will deliberately create a hassle to ge a PAC, but once you have it, you then have 30 days to use it (with no obligation either - they'll not cut you off if you don't use it) Most network allow you to import a number after you've signed up with them - you start a new deal, get a new number then you can port in your existing number. I've recently done that with GiffGaff - absolutely no hassle to port in, lots of hassle to get the PAC out of O2 though, but I got one in the end - the trick is to use the online chat thingy.

Do check your local network coverage - Vodafone didn't have good 3G coverage in south devon last time I looked but O2 is improving all the time and Three is probably the best for data.

Gordon