Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 03/11/2012 09:31, Mark Evans wrote:

On 02/11/12 12:03, Julian Hall wrote:

Also I have recently discovered that the Virginmedia so-called
Superhub (more like Stuporhub) latest firmware update forced on
customers is broken.  In essence it won't let you carry out some
basic functions unless the Firewall security is set to Low, and it
doesn't even tell you anywhere the difference between Low, Medium
and High.  For example, to FTP I have to set the Firewall to Low,
upload or download my files, and then reset the Firewall to Medium.
You may think an easy remedy would be to set a Port Forwarding rule
on port 21 to my desktop PC. Unfortunately the forums are full of
people complaining that Port Forwarding on the Superhub doesn't
work, and in my experience they're right.
Virgin's (not so) Superhub appears to have been dogged by all sorts of
problems ever since it was introduced.
Indeed.. I hate it but they don't supply simple modems anymore. I still have my Edimax router not in use at the moment. I suppose I could disable the Stuporhub's router function and just use it as a modem, but it's a big lump to have around just as a modem, and as it's a rebadged Netgear it's quite well made. It's just the firmware that sucks.

Julian