Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

I hope fellow list-members know that it is not mandatory to read all
the posts. :-)

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM, bad apple wrote:
> However, it is exactly my unusual familiarity with this world
> that makes me more than usually qualified to comment on security issues.

Sure. You clearly know what you're talking about and you probably have
a lot more hands-on experience with this than I do. But I do make my
money, albeit indirectly, by people needing better protection for
their computers. And I do know what I'm talking about: I know my
Blackhole from my BEAST and my Duqu from my DNSSEC.

(But then, I don't think we disagree about most the technical details.)

> Well, if you mean that CRIME and BEAST are not something that an average
> user can *do* anything about, you're right I guess. But worry? Do you
> really think we shouldn't worry about the fact that the primary security
> transport layer for 99% of our online activities is hopelessly flawed?

I beg to differ about TLS being "hopelessly" flawed.

CRIME and BEAST aren't easy to exploit. They require a lot of effort,
effort that means it is unlikely to be worth the effort (read: time
and money) to attack anything an average Internet users does online.

> The same for the DigiNotar hack - sure, just bad
> luck for some Iranian dissidents right? Um, no. It's a warning: if the
> hopelessly incompetent Iranian government can manage it,

The Iranian government isn't hopelessly incompetent. At least the
hackers working for them aren't. Full stop. (The people running
Diginotar were, perhaps, which is why a hacker of moderate competence
managed to generate forged certificates. That was really bad.)

> it would be
> wise to assume that all organised western governments can and have been
> doing it as well (protip: they have).

Sure. They forged a hash-collision to fake a Microsoft certificate to
push a forged Windows update in Flame. They probably use similarly
advanced methods against some of their own citizens. This _is_ an
issue. Perhaps we should all go out on the streets and protest against
it. But it doesn't affect the way I use the Internet for my daily
web-browsing.

> It should be telling you that the
> 'secure' infrastructure out there we all rely on for the most trivial of
> online operations is hopelessly flawed, at the most basic level. See
> also DNSSEC. If you can't trust DNS, you've got nothing.

Sure, I can't 100% trust DNS. I know that. For just about anything I
do online this simply doesn't matter.

> The same with
> Stuxnet, etc: the take-home message is the level of skill and dedication
> being utilised by our own government agencies to compromise critical
> infrastructure. I assure you, if they can do it to middle eastern
> targets, they can do it here too. The lesson is that SCADA, as we on the
> inside have always known, is riddled with hardcoded backdoors,
> elementary coding flaws and well known holes. Presumably you don't
> operate a nuclear centrifuge so none of this concerns you right? Wrong.
> Your water supply, electricity, the traffic lights and every element of
> your surrounding environment is controlled by SCADA systems, barely any
> of which are secured.

Well, I don't run any of these either.

I agree that security at many SCADA systems is pretty bad. If I would
work for one of them, it'd be a major concern. Perhaps it should be
for me as a citizen of this country, or of this world. It doesn't
affect my day-to-day computer usage though.

(Also, it's probably good to point out that, despite all this talk of
insecure SCADA systems, there is only one know piece of malware
actually being used in the wild that attacked such a system. And that
was advanced beyond imagination.)

> Exactly. I frequent the sort of lists and forums where these services
> are advertised and very eye-opening they are too. You see, this is a
> large part of the problem: I hear more than anything else from users
> "I've got nothing to hide and I'm just a regular computer user, why
> would anyone target me?"

Just to make it clear: I am *not* saying that and explicitly not
making this point. I think all Internet users should consider
themselves as a potential target and take precautionary measures. I'm
just arguing against overdoing it.

> Everyone on this list has a computer worth more
> than the standard rate: you're running linux. Compromised linux boxes
> are worth a lot more than compromised windows zombies, even the regular
> home user machines, let alone a 64 core server on a fat pipe in a
> datacenter with a PHP shell backdoor installed. Hackers don't give a
> shit if there's anything on your box or not - it's just another hop on
> their anonymous proxy chain, or hosting their warez, child pr0n stash
> IRC bot or DOS zombie. But don't get me wrong, whilst they're at it they
> might as well use their automated SSH bruteforce+root script to SSLSTRIP
> your paypal, ebay, facebook, email and bank logins. I mean, why not?

Because they'd leave traces?

I know what my machine can be used for (although I have no idea of the
going price for a compromised home user Linux box). I know my
Facebook, Paypal, email etc. can be stolen if enough of an effort is
made. But the probability is relatively small; smaller than equivalent
risks in the offline world.

(I use two-factor authentication wherever I can. I know this isn't
100% perfect -- nothing is -- but it puts the bar a little bit
higher.)

> Also, let us not forget that in this modern world of BYOD and working
> from home, even the most innocent and boring looking android phone,
> windows 7 laptop or home linux box may well have the keys to the kingdom
> on it. Once you're in and the keylogger is running, those openvpn, cisco
> or terminal server session passwords are yours for the taking (or
> losing). Bad news if the unfortunate victim is a senior manager, IT
> staffer or finance officer. Bad news full stop, because now they'll use
> your compromised home system as an ingress point to your otherwise
> (hopefully) much more secured work network.

Sure. So VPN access should _always_ require a second authentication
factor. And networks of any size, but especially the larger, should be
wary of threats coming from the inside. And no, none of this prevent
attacks from happening. It just reduces the chances.

> Repeat after me: THERE IS NO
> SUCH THING AS A ZERO VALUE TARGET!

There isn't. I hope I never gave the impression that I think there is.

My point is that almost every target has a limited value. That value
may be a few pence for a home PC in China or millions of pounds for a
large corporation. As soon as you drive up the costs of an attack
beyond that value, you're protected well enough.

Of course, it isn't easy, or even possible, to determine that cost.
And of course, a small minority of attackers (hacktivists and
governments) have non-financial motives.

> Automated attacks via compromised
> web, DNS, mail and other servers are the primary attack vector and
> firefox on linux is just as likely to get you busted as IE10 on your
> patched windows box. Automated attacks cost virtually nothing, cast a
> very wide net and don't discriminate against victims - the whole "I
> don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you" approach to
> security espoused by the technically literate and otherwise perfectly
> reasonable crowd (such as your good self) is complete and total bullshit
> I'm afraid. You don't need to be some mythical high-level target to
> warrant specific personal attacks by ultra-hackers.

If a "ultra-hacker" has the option of hacking me or David Cameron,
assuming we're both equally well protected, they'll go for the latter.
At least they will in at least 99.9% of the cases. If they do somehow
decide to target me, that's a risk worth taking. Using computers comes
with risks; if you're not willing to take them, go to the library for
your information, start corresponding to friends by writing letters
and move your social life back to the pub.

> Almost by
> definition, the 0-days they are constantly rolling out are usable
> against almost everyone, including me, in vast automated country wide
> attacks.

I have seen no evidence of zero-days being used in automated
mass-attacks. That is, not as long as they're still zero-days.
(Zero-days in much used applications are worth in excess of $100,000
on the market for exploits. By using such an exploit in a mass-attack
you give it away and thus it loses it value. You need an awful lot of
infections with your mass-attack for it to be worth it.)

There are many examples of exploits that were once zero-days being
used for mass-targets. Sometimes very soon after their discovery: a
recent Java exploit was added to Blackhole before Oracle had patched
it. But then, that's Java. And that's Oracle.

> In computer security, there is no such thing as
> "good enough"!

Not if your goal is to be 100% protected, because 100% protection is impossible.

> Here is where we disagree fundamentally - being at the sharp end, I deal
> with this stuff all day every day. And for ALL users of the internet,
> pretending that they don't effect us is insanely stupid. It's
> trickledown my friend: the cutting edge, targetted 0-day guru-level
> hacks against state entities and the biggest businesses is what gets
> adopted, customised and rolled into the everyday Zeus crimeware tools,
> rotating google ad banners and compromised botnets that attack us all
> tomorrow.

Sure, so you need to apply patches against the vulnerabilities
exploited by what once were zero days. And run security software that
recognize those exploits.

As you say: this happens 'tomorrow'. For most users, there is time
between today and tomorrow.

> Yesterday's government sponsored hijack of SSL certs is
> today's trivial SSL Paypal attack (and oh look, right on time:
> http://it.slashdot.org/story/12/11/02/1444250/paypal-security-holes-expose-customer-card-data-personal-details).

But that has nothing to do with forged certificates, right? That just
means that yet another company has messed up its systems.

One thing I could have added to just about anything I wrote above is
that the same holds for our "offline" security. If you try hard
enough, you can steal my bank cards, spy on me, even kidnap or kill
me. But I have a reasonable idea of how much of a target I am and thus
how much of an incentive attackers have to target me. And I know what
the risks of unrecoverable damage are in case something happens. Given
the precautionary measures are take, those risks are really small.

Martijn.