Re: [LUG] Ornance Survey preventing Linux users from using Getamap

On 29/10/12 11:18, m.dinsmore wrote:
> It's turned out to be a bad decision as Microsoft have reduced there
> support priority for silverlight.
Surely this one of the main dis-advantages with closed source solutions
you are at the mercy of the provider who can decide on support etc.

> However on windows (used the vast majority of desktop visitors to the
> site) silverlight works better and crashes less than flash so making
> the decision several years ago before html 5 was a viable option it
> probably seemed like the best way to go. In today's environment it's
> looking like a poor one now as they need other options for the
> majority of mobile devices.

So perhaps we can campaign for the next generation of sites to use open
standards, and more importantly point them to places where they can get
people with the right skills, as this is generally a factor as to which
technology you use, can you get the right staff to implement a specific
solution.

> You could always use their open data access and write your own
> interface.  As several android apps have done. I'd say that probably
> means they can argue they are not being anti competitive.
>
> Malcolm
>
> L Smith <lhs47crewe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ordnance survey are using microsoft silverlight which is not
> compatible with the linux operating system .. Is this actually a
> breach of anti competative legislation and is this the kind of thing
> that a govermnment agency should be indulging in.

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org
http://www.ubuntu.com