[LUG] Backup devices was Re: Time to upgrade

I'd try to avoid reformatting /home.

Then you can rely on your normal backup device!!!

I've had lousy luck with external USB disks, but Work has a Lacie device which is still working years later. I'd probably check with Which, or someone who has done systematic testing.

Always reread the backup to spot errors writing to disk, you can cat all the files to /dev/null or use a tool that does a verify.