Re: [LUG] Time to upgrade

Hi. If you DON'T format the home partition during install you won't lose anything. Might be worth renaming .config and some other folders (.KDE/.KDE4), to avoid any application configuration confusion. If you are super paranoid back it up though. What about buying a caddy for a couple of quid on eBay and sticking an old desktop or laptop drive in that, for external use?

Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A little while ago I ran a thread about VBox. One of the list members
told me in no uncertain terms that I should upgrade from my current
distro which is Mint 10 KDE, based on Maverick.

That was the reason for using VBox, to check out possible replacement
distros. Meanwhile I think that it would be sensible to get an external
disk drive to keep a copy of my current home folder so that I won't lose
anything. I am not worried about emails as I use IMAP so I will not lose
anything there.

I won't need a drive any larger than 500mb, in fact even that would be a
bit OTT for me. Does anyone have any recommendations please? I have been
looking around Amazon etc and am now completely bewildered by it all.

As for which distro to choose as the new one...!!! I have got it down to
four possibles, but for every good review there is one not so good.

Thanks for any help,

Neil