[LUG] CS50 Computer Science Course from Harvard University

Hi folks,

Tom Brough asked on the IRC chat room about a course I've signed up for with Harvard University (yep, the Harvard University in the US). It's basically a free online computer science course called CX50x. It's only just started (it's been running for about a week). The course lectures and content are available online and the students can do the course online using a virtual machine (a Linux based VM too). It's an entry level course and topics include "abstraction, data structures, encapsulation, resource management, security, software engineering and web development". The languages include C, PHP, Javascript and more. From what I can see the course begins with Scratch.

Anyway, the course can be found here: https://www.edx.org/courses/HarvardX/CS50x/2012/about

I believe they do other courses too with MIT and Berkeley. At the end of the course you get a certificate of attendance. Not sure how relevant it is as far as qualifications go but I figured that it's an interesting course to do :-)

The other courses can be found here: https://www.edx.org

Rob