Re: [LUG] new-asus-new-windows-8-laptops-available-with-ubuntu

On 16/10/12 12:35, paul sutton wrote:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/2-new-asus-new-windows-8-laptops-available-with-ubuntu#

clearly a good move,   ok if it works with Ubuntu chances are that you
can get stuff working with other distros,

Something MUST be changing for companies to offer these options.

Paul

While I'm not a fan of Ubuntu these days, it is a positive move if how I read it the machines are available without Windows.

What it does say though is "Other countries will likely follow, though we’ve been told that *the Ubuntu version is ‘unlikely‘ to come to the UK*. No surprise: none of ASUS’s recent Ubuntu models have, either."

So that's a bit of a shame, but I guess there's nothing stopping someone ordering one from Amazon.de and importing it, only issue would be swapping the keyboard for a UK one, not sure how easy that would be. I'm guessing that German VAT is included too, according to XE.com 299 Euros is about 250 quid.

Rob