Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi RAM doubled :-)

On 16/10/12 11:52, Julian Hall wrote:
>  On 15/10/2012 18:26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

>>> I certainly hope they don't end up in landfill,  if you're going to
>>> chuck it away,  donate it to a school at least :)   I am sure the
>>> school
>>> i work at would have one or two.  :)
>>
>> Which won't work when they eventually release all the educational
>> software for schools designed to work on the 512MB models only.
>>
>> OK, so maybe I'm a tad cynical here, however, let's wait and see...
>>
>> Gordon
>>
> Perfect though for schools/universities to teach students to *write
> their own* software though.  Who needs a 512Mb model to run
> educational software if your purpose is to teach children to write
> their own?  I think donating any unwanted 256Mb models to schools (or
> third world projects?) is a great idea.
>
> Julian

Is there going to be a lot of educational software for the PI,  as I am
under the impression as you said the idea is to get kids coding,  if
they spend all their time using educational software then how is that
different to what they do at the moment.

Also is scratch a development tool or an educational tool or both?

The more memory you have to play with,  the more bloat you add to your
software,   if people need 512 mb ram to write software that did the
same thing on a zx spectrum with 48k then we really are in trouble.
Sure the programs need a little more memory due to graphics being better
for example but in terms of the actual code,  ask a question,  gain
input,  check input, give feedback,  there can't be that much difference
in terms of code needed.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111