Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi RAM doubled :-)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, Eion MacDonald wrote:

________________________________
From: Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Monday, 15 October 2012, 14:49
Subject: Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi RAM doubled :-)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, Dan Dart wrote:

I was also one of the first on that particular bandwagon.
Can't wait...

Wait for what... to Landfill your existing Pi when it can no-longer run because someone decided that some vital bit of software now needs 512MB to run in?

Personally, while I welcome the move, I think it will seriously annoy a lot of people - like the few 100,000 others out these who made the investments in the original version...

Gordon

Sorry folks, I think you have wrong end of stick in complaining about a specification upgrade. I thought they thought they would only sell 10 to 20 thousand,

I don't think "while I welcome the move" is too much of a complaint, however..

hence, the original brief. All went well, they can improve, cut costs make in UK etc. The ONLY technical equipment (hardware or software or even agricultural machinery) that stays as original is that which fails! I am glad this has not happened.

Originally the foundation commited to making 10,000 units. These were distributed equally to RS and Farnell with (IIRC) 2000 kept back, however from day -1 is was clear that the demand was such that they needed to keep on going, and going and going - to the tune of 4000 units a day.... I think they should have stopped at that point, do a board rev (there is a wiring issue to do with the 3.3v wire on the ethernet/usb chip, and it was clear from day 2 that there was an issue with the polyfuses on the USB sockets) and then make the decision to go forward. However it's hard to turn down demand. Schools did not commit to buying many for the start of this new year, so my reckoning is that it'll be for the start of next academic year - and they'll all be 512MB devices - so if you want to develop educational software, then spend another £30 on one now...

So lets wait and see... From my point of view, I'm a few 100 quid down - I can live with that. (cost of Pi's plus cost of equipment I've bought, PCBs I've had made and so on) What's another 30 quid..

Gordon