Re: [LUG] Home server

On 5 October 2012 19:28, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have noticed that several of the list members mention that they have a
server set up at home. Can anyone tell me what that is all about please
and why anyone would want/need to have one?

Personally, mine is called plague and it lives in my loft. It's currently a new ML110 with ILO because I got fed up with grub or other errors preventing boot, forcing me to climb up into the loft and press things to get it going again after a power cut.

Mythtv recorder recording two freesat feeds (previously had 4 freeview feeds, until digital switchover when I promptly lost all terresetrial coverage!)

File server for laptops, desktop and Popcorn hour (to big tv) viewing of myth recorded files, and any films, wife's Glee etc.

Various other file sharings.

Zoneminder recording home cctv.

Development/scratch box for work projects, or just playing around with various projects that may or may not go somewhere. Perl/php, building stuff and experimenting with various bits of software to see if they'll be useful.

I've got quite a few other servers in various places for work, but this is mine and it belongs to me.