Re: [LUG] Other problems while mounting Buffalo HDD

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:46:29 +0100
Martin Gautier <martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martin,

>Yes well there's the rub. Unless you can plug in a video card and
>install the drivers and configure the system how you want it, you're
>never going to know whether it works or not.

Very true.  It took more than a year to get my current hardware to work
with Debian (testing).  At the start, I couldn't install easily because
the network interface wasn't recognised.  Almost a year later, the video
drivers got updated enough so that I could run a GUI, but only in VESA
modes.  After another month or so, nv (it was that far back) started to
play nice with the video.  At that time, I didn't want to install the
nvidia drivers, because my understanding of X, and my ability to rectify
any issues was a good deal poorer than they are now.  Not that I'm an
expert in the field:  Far from it.

>For example, I run an nVidia 5500 card with twin ports. According to
>almost all documentation online, Ubuntu, nVidia 5500 and nVidia driver
>will work. Actually some of it does, doesn't and/or maybe...

I'm guessing a good deal, but I suspect that some of the problem is
Ubuntu, not nVidia.  Canonical, as you know, base Ubuntu on Debian sid,
and then add shi^Hed loads of their own patches and whatnot to the mix.
They (Canonical) simply don't have the manpower or resources to check
everything for functionality.

>I guess my point is, after this rant (sorry about that), has anyone

Everyone's entitled to vent their ire.  If nothing else, it helps reduce
your blood pressure.  Which is a Good Thingâ.

>any sort of reliable combination of good cards, monitors, drivers,
>distributions that actually works, at a decent clip, with 3D,
>twin-headed setups and continue to work when the drivers are upgraded?

Sorry, but there I can't help at all.  Only a single head set up here.

--
 Regards  _
It's got nothing to do with the need to impress