[LUG] blender/googleearth running at a crawl

Two opengl programs I try to run on my 4 core amd run at an absolute crawl or fail completely - blender and google earth. If I run opengl benchmarking I get scores of 80+fps and everything looks photo-fantastic. Its an nvidia onboard card with 512 meg or ram using an nvidia proprietary driver and does pretty fantastic graphics for everything else.
Any ideas what may be wrong?
Tom te tom te tom