Re: [LUG] Dual Boot Windows 7

On 14/09/12 15:51, Steven CÃtà wrote:

> To be honest, the reason I didn't go full disk encryption on the last
> time I reinstalled my laptop was on account of concerns for the
> performance hit and an uncertainty of the maturity of full encryption.
> Judging by your support for full disk encryption, it sounds like both of
> those concerns were unfounded.

Yes truecrypt is mature for x86 PCs - although I'd still back-up stuff
before enabling it on an existing system.

It has a "system" encryption option that moves password entry to the
boot step, and allows things like dual boot operation, encryption of
non-Linux partitions etc.

As far as things like laptops go I'd say install it just don't forget
the password you used (write it down and save it somewhere really safe).
Just because laptops are tempting and you almost certainly have a way of
spending money stored in the disk somewhere that people fencing laptops
may be able to exploit.

Wonder what the state is for Android. Probably wrong place to ask but my
mobile phone is currently protected by a fancy screen lock application,
and it became apparent how easy it is to spend money on it once passed
that when I had to rip it from the hands of my 4 year old before he
bought an upgrade for the catapult in Angry birds via my Google Wallet.
I'm guessing the security there is better than the security of my credit
card (which sits unprotected in my wallet), but how much better?

 Simon