Re: [LUG] Dual Boot Windows 7

On 11/09/2012 15:02, Henry Bremridge wrote:
This and Steven's suggestions are mostly fine: you however do *not* want
to perform partition resizing from within windows (it may not even be
possible depending on the type of partition, i.e., dynamic vs simple
volume) especially if you have one single boot volume (200Mb 'loader'
partition + the rest of the disk as your NTFS data partition).
Partitioning secondary or tertiary non-OS disks from within windows is
fine however.

You will be best served by obtaining the gparted live CD and booting
from that to initially resize your windows partition. This will make
windows panic initially after the resize operation and it will want to
run a chkdisk on your first boot afterwards.
I once started trying to use Debian to repartition and to cut a long story
short I had to go through the whole process of windows updates and
reinstall programs, something I am trying to avoid a second time ;)

Anyway will try this evening: getting work done in Windows is too time
consumin
Hi Henry
Hope this catches you in time.
Windows 7 update can screw up a dual boot machine. Suggest you make sure you update Windows first and then switch update off. Should Ms update work in the future you can always switch it back on again.
John.