Re: [LUG] Dual Boot Windows 7

On 13 September 2012 02:36, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The patching of windows software is a thankless task, I even blogged
about it.

Nice article, and the central repository for Windows is something I've pondered a few times for the very reason you put forward - as, I suspect, anyone who's used linux repositories for updating. I know some independent attempts have come forwards, but nothing from Microsoft.

And I was actually glad about that, since I didn't want Microsoft controlling what software is installed on my Windows machines in the same way Apple does for various of its lines.

Nothing that is, until Windows 8.

Windows App Store /is/ a central repository. I imagine it will have auto-update settings (which inevitably will mean they use all your bandwidth just when you want it, still a concern for us rural types). I use Google Play a lot as an app manager for my android phone; it's not a bad system.

How much WAS takes over I don't know, I haven't yet played with W8. It could be anything from a totally authoritarian system that doesn't let you install anything else (If so, W8 will not be long for this world), or a flimsy bolt-on that will be ignored.

Oh, hello everyone. Quick intro: 41, married, eastern Dartmoor. Total geek, wrote my first code in 1981 but now only code in perl/php on occasion. Linux user/admin since about 1997, fully debianised for a decade or so. Work as a director of an animal charity.

Si