Re: [LUG] Dual Boot Windows 7

On 11/09/12 16:02, Henry Bremridge wrote:
>> This and Steven's suggestions are mostly fine: you however do *not* want
>> to perform partition resizing from within windows (it may not even be
>> possible depending on the type of partition, i.e., dynamic vs simple
>> volume) especially if you have one single boot volume (200Mb 'loader'
>> partition + the rest of the disk as your NTFS data partition).
>> Partitioning secondary or tertiary non-OS disks from within windows is
>> fine however.
>>
>> You will be best served by obtaining the gparted live CD and booting
>> from that to initially resize your windows partition. This will make
>> windows panic initially after the resize operation and it will want to
>> run a chkdisk on your first boot afterwards.
> I once started trying to use Debian to repartition and to cut a long story
> short I had to go through the whole process of windows updates and
> reinstall programs, something I am trying to avoid a second time ;)
>
> Anyway will try this evening: getting work done in Windows is too time
> consuming

A pro-tip for those of you who have to suffer with windows a lot - if
you're frequently working on windows machines but don't have the time of
effort required to set up a full WSUS environment (this requires a
windows server install plus AD configuration, etc) then your new best
friend is: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Stick it on a (large) USB drive and update it frequently - this can even
be done on a linux host machine. I promise it will save you many, many
hours of staring in frustration at the endless repetition of check for
updates/install updates/reboot/repeat that plagues windows.

Regards