Re: [LUG] OT: Gigabit Network

 On 08/09/2012 06:32, Cramptons wrote:
On 07/09/12 13:11, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

I'm getting *very* slow speeds on my network.  Pretty basic
setup.. Virginmedia Superhub, NAS, PC.  Data between the NAS and PC
obviously going through the Superhub.  All three devices have
Gigibit ports, however I am getting speeds between 3 and 10Mb/s -
varies depending on file size of course.  My main concern is the
cable in use.  Currently I'm using Cat5e and the forums online give
conflicting information regarding its' suitability, ranging from
'it may work' to 'it should work', up to 'it will work'.  So I
thought I'd ask a reliable known source, you guys and gals :)  I
don't want to be ripping out wiring and replacing it with expensive
Cat6a (for example) if that's not where the problem lies.
Hi to all
I am reading all these postings about network hardware with direct interest. My set-up has for many years used Cat5e wiring, the only difference may be that mine is shielded. There was one initial problem that was soon overcome. The problem was that at one point there was a very sharp bend in one of the wires and the device on that part of the network was noticeably slower due to data errors and retransmissions .
Bend eased and problem solved!
If all connections are in good condition, without strain, and with no high voltage cables or wires physically touching the Cat5e wiring the problem lies almost certainly elsewhere. My hub/switch has been replaced several times and my experience is that this is the point of failure.
Hope this saves your ripping out your wiring.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments. There aren't any sharp bends in the wiring - at least not sharp enough to cause any stress to the wiring.. shielding may be an issue though as there is a lot of electrical equipment packed into a relatively small area, so that could be something that needs looking into. My computer, NAS and router have all been replaced at one point or other - prior to the Superhub I had an Edimax with Gigabit ports too, and that had the same transfer speed. The wiring being the only thing I haven't changed is what prompted my original query. In a nutshell, can Cat5e cabling support Gigabit speeds or not? :)

Kind regards,

Julian