Re: [LUG] Remote Access & Dual IP Addresses

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012, Martin Gautier wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Host it externally.

Unless the people regularly exchange multi-MB documents all day when it's arguably better to keep it on the LAN, then what are you losing?

Even I don't host my email at home these days - cheap VPSs can be had for under £15 inc vat a quarter e.g. http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ I've had one of their bottom end VPSs for 4 months now and I've been pleasantly surprised at how reliable it's been. (It's been rebooted once in that time by the looks of it) Of-course I do believe that you get what you pay for, so I'm not hosting anything on it that I've not replicated elsehwere, but even so - how much does it cost a quarter for electricity for a Linux server at home?

Gordon