[LUG] Remote Access & Dual IP Addresses

I wonder if anyone has any clever suggestions...

My home network uses IPCop between the router and the LAN and I run my own IMAP email server. I have a port pin-holed on IPCop to allow me to access IMAP from the Internet.

As the router is using NAT, the IP Address for my email server is different depending on whether I'm on the LAN (192.168.1.100) or outside my router on the Internet (broadband static IP). Since I'm using IPCop I can get around the dual IP problem using a hostname (server.mydomain.co.uk) linked to my external static IP and configuring IPCop's Host list to link server.mydomain.co.uk to 192.168.1.100 - this is a handy feature which effectively adds your list of hosts and their internal IP to it's DNS/DNS Proxy system. This method lets me have a single account in Thunderbird that uses server.mydomain.co.uk as the IMAP server host and that works anywhere I am.

This set up works well.

I want to be able to achieve a similar outcome for a family member who has a dynamic broadband IP and no IPCop - ie. just a router with the usual features (Netgear DG834 from memory), a linux server and Windows laptop. The windows box uses the router as a DNS proxy. I can use dyndns.org to get a consistent hostname for use outside the LAN. The problem is linking the hostname to the (different) internal IP of the server. Adding an IPCop box isn't practicable.

The router has no hosts list support which can link to it's DNS Proxy (as far as I've found). Windows can use a hosts file but that doesn't me much.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would setting up a local DNS server help - is IPCop's hosts list feature common to DNS server software?

TIA
Martin
NB: IP addresses and hostnames altered to protect the innocent!