Re: [LUG] please help! ive got an audio problem that needs sorting before i start college!!

On 22/08/12 01:58, trahern culver wrote:

> i go to use QJactl my laptop slows
> down to a snails pace so much that even the orca screen reeder i use
> cant help me find out what the problem

We track similar issues on servers, going wrong when no one can watch
it, by running a script from cron which when load is high spools output
to a file with date and time stamped file names from these commands.

top vmstat iostat sar

Allows us to measure what resource is being consumed, and the top
generally gives us an idea of which processes were eating it.

Some of those are a tad verbose with numbers, but that can be improved.

Indeed you probably can get away with the "Average" line from sar (from
package sysstat). Since sar can record pretty much all performance
parameters you are likely to want to measure. I bet someone else who is
visually impaired has probably scripted similar before for exactly this
sort of situation. Just thinking such a tool would be useful generally
to you and other visually impaired people, rather than just this
specific case.

Either way once logged to a file you can review it later, hopefully you
can interrupt Qjactl without a reboot as it could get tedious quickly.

Otherwise sounds like a hardware issue, so I'd start in /var/log/kern.log

If you are near I'm happy to try and help although my knowledge of Linux
audio is not extensive. I'm in the Exeter area. Might also be worth
setting up remote access via SSH for someone although not much help for
audio quality problems it may well be sufficient in this case.