Re: [LUG] Unanswered questions

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 13:52:53 +0100
Philip Hudson wrote:

> ... from yesterday.
>
> (Note: I have deliberately not RTFMed. This is as much to give the
> flavor of the meeting as to gain answers).
>
> 1. What's the difference between 'ssh -X' and 'ssh -Y' (i.e.
> X11Forwarding and TrustedX11Forwarding)?

First Google result for: "ssh -Y"
http://bit.ly/Se9SQ5

> 2. WTF is clang, and is it really going to replace gcc?

Clang already replaces GCC... if you want it to. All about choice.
Clang's "goal" is to *offer* a replacement to GCC, but I doubt it will
supplant GCC in totem any time soon.

> 3. Does Wayland exist?

Yes.

> 4. Does Restricted Boot mean we're all doomed, or that our old
> hardware will jump in value?

Unsure. My gut feeling is that it will fail like many other previous
systems designed to "lock" computer systems, for whatever reason.

> 5. Does anyone use a non-apt/dpkg/deb distro, like Suse, RHEL/Fedora/
> Centos, Mageia, Arch, Gentoo?

I occasionally play around with Slackware. It's good fun, but I find I
spend more time playing than I do being productive, so my "main"
systems are Debian and Ubuntu.

I used to use Mandrake/Mandriva upto and include the time they
introduced "urpmi". I have used CentOS systems and a couple of RHEL
systems, so YUM is relatively familiar, but I *prefer* the whole apt
thing.

> 6. What's the right command line invocation to burn an ISO to a
> CD/DVD on debian/Ubuntu/Mint, rather than just copy the ISO file?
> Does it involve mkisofs (we thought so) and dd (I doubted this).

Are you asking how to make an ISO or how to burn one?

Making an ISO will involve either a tool to copy bytewise the data from
a medium (DVD, perhaps) into a file. DD does a good job, but there are
others. You can even use cp: cp /dev/sr0 /path/to/file.iso

Burning an ISO to a disc writing software. From the commandline you can
normally use wodim.

> 7. How is Trisquel freer than debian?

"Trisquel does not include the vanilla Linux kernel you can find at the
Linux project servers, but a cleaned up version of Ubuntu's version of
the kernel. Both the upstream versions include non-free binary-only
firmware files, and also a lot of binary blobs hidden in .c and .h
files in the form of huge sequences of numbers. To provide our users
with a fully free kernel we use a set of scripts based in the ones from
Linux-libre, with some modifications of our own."

> 8. Shall we have our next meeting at a cider festival? (No!)

Sounds dangerous to me.

> 9. Software Freedom day is coming. I think we need a nudity-themed
> hook to get the punters in.

Are we talking about personal nudity or computational nudity?

> That's all I can recall just now, but there may well have been
> others I've forgotten.

Sounds like you had a good time!

Grant.