Re: [LUG] LUG LAG / Need a application for people to up/download documents

On 05/08/12 01:50, bad apple wrote:
> I replied twice to Kevin regarding his problems earlier this evening
> using the standard list reply email address list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Mails were sent at 21:44 and 22:03 respectively and because I 'mirror'
> out the throwaway yahoo address I use for this list to one of my master
> email accounts via BCC I know that the emails were both sent and
> delivered correctly. Yet as of 01:47, ~4 hours later, neither have
> turned up on the list yet which is annoying as the emails were
> reasonably long and contain the (probable) fixes for his woes.
>
> What gives?

Whereas the above email took mere seconds to arrive on the list.

Incidentally, sorry to mix up topics but in reply to "Need a application
for people to up/download documents" then it might be worth checking out
sparkleshare (http://sparkleshare.org/) which is effectively an
open-source dropbox which you can host on your own servers. Personally,
I hate it (and it uses Mono) but it is cross platform and
braindead-simple for the users, which let's face it, is what counts
here. If the users weren't idiots they'd be checking into a distributed
version control system over SSH and all would be well with the world.

Otherwise you're going to want one of the countless document control
systems available (I mean seriously, does nobody do their homework these
days?) such as knowledge tree (https://www.knowledgetree.com/). This can
also be run on your own servers and as it's effectively templated like a
wordpress blog, you can "rebrand" to your hearts content. Secure access
via VPN if HTTPS isn't secure enough for you (it isn't).

Regards,

Mat