Re: [LUG] UEFI bios and Gforce 460 dueling

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 18:15 +0100, bad apple wrote:
> On 04/08/12 17:05, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I need some guidance with install a new PC It has UEFI bios, Intel quad
> > core, 8 gig of RAM and a GFX 460 Nvidia graphics card. As usual I
> > offered to help to introduce linux to an avid Gamer.
> >
> > I installed Win 7 ok
> > then after a lot of mucking about with the Bios I got it to boot a live
> > CD ( UEFI installs a Windows BootLoader, so you have CD sata0 and
> > "windows bootloader" as boot choices, of course WBL was first).
> >
> > Eventually I get a distro to run ( Fedora 17 64 bit ) but only on the
> > onboard Graphics (intel) but it does see the 8Gig of Ram. None have so
> > far seen the Win7 boot partition and now Fedora has deleted the EFI
> > entry in the Bios!
> >
> > I can fix this with a win disk but...
> >
> > What is the best way to approach this
> >
> > and...
> >  Do I have any chance of running Linux on the GFX 460 (1Gig RAm)
> > Graphics.
>
> Your post is extremely confusing... what motherboard does this system
> have? Unless you have an extremely odd el cheapo Chinese board (Foxconn
> make some very crappy motherboards for example) setting this system up
> to dual boot win7/linux should be incredibly trivial. Whatever you are
> doing, you are evidently doing it very wrong so:
>
> Reset the UEFI to defaults to undo any strange things you have done to
> it. Turn off the TPM module if you have one, set the UEFI boot order
> correctly (Disk, USB, DVD) and figure out which key to press during boot
> to access the boot menu (on my MSI board for example I press F11 to get
> a nice graphical list of available devices to boot from). You may need
> to find - and disable - the onboard graphics settings in UEFI as well,
> or at least tell it to initialize the Nvidia PCIe card instead. You
> should also make sure that SATA mode is set to AHCI.
>
> (Re)install win7: by default it will create a 100Mb NTFS formatted
> System Reserved partition (the bootloader) and a main partition, also
> NTFS, sized according to your instructions during install. The remainder
> of your disk (I'm presuming you only have one) can be used to
> arbitrarily lay out your linux system which needs to be done after the
> windows install. Do yourself another favour and stop using CDs if your
> motherboard supports booting from USB - as it's apparently a modern one
> supporting UEFI it certainly should boot from USB.
>
> Any modern linux distribution whatsoever will support NTFS out of the
> box during the install process, and most will even allow editing
> (moving, shrinking, etc) of any NTFS partitions detected. Fedora 17
> certainly does: I am unsure what  you mean by your previous linux
> attempts have failed to "see" the windows partitions and can make even
> less sense out of Fedora "deleting" EFI entries (it certainly hasn't,
> perhaps you could clarify this a little more).

After deleting all partitions and before reinstalling windows this is
the messgae from lobparted concerning the disk

Syncing device.
mkntfs completed successfully. Have a nice day.
libparted messages    ( INFO )

/dev/sda contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table.
However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it
should. Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that
doesn&apos;t understand GPT partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the
GPT table, and are now using an msdos partition table. Is this a GPT
partition table?

This occurred after install of Fedora

> Once you have your linux system installed as well make sure that the
> ntfs-3g package is installed from your package manager (it usually is by
> default, but check anyway). Your Nvidia 460 is definitely supported
> under linux:
> http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux-display-amd64-295.59-driver-uk.html
> - you will need to install the nvidia driver package either from your
> distribution's repositories or direct from Nvidia.
>
> However, considering there is a local exploit
> (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.security.full-disclosure/86747)
> allowing trivial privilege escalation to root in all current Nvidia
> binary linux drivers which they don't seem to care about fixing, you may
> just want to stick with the open source nouveau driver instead if the
> performance is acceptable.
>
> Let us know how you get on - if you're unlucky you may need to modify
> the grub command to disable ACPI or something to enable initial booting
> of the linux installer but we'll deal with that if it comes up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mat

Regards

Kevin Lucas