Re: [LUG] [RPi] Tiny USB WiFi Dongle? Tiny powered USB hub?

On 22.07.2012 18:53, Kevin Lucas wrote:
On Sun, 2012-07-22 at 17:11 +0100, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:02:11 +0100
Kevin Lucas wrote:

On Sun, 2012-07-22 at 15:28 +0100, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
My brother has asked if I could have a look into tiny powered USB
hubs and tiny USB WiFi adapters for his RPi - he isn't (yet) much
into Linux and would prefer something that *just works* (ie no need
to download kernel drivers, firmwares, etc... just plug in and
configure).

Ordinarily this wouldn't necessarily be a big problem, but with the
added ARMness of the RPi, and the disparity between what works on
the different architecture's kernels, this could potentially make
things a bit more awkward. Add to that the fact that I don't have
an RPi to play with! :D

Now, I have found one "tiny" USB adapter which works, but requires a
bit of messing around (which he's not really happy doing). As far as
the powered hubs are concerned, I really haven't a clue. I was under
the impression that a powered USB hub was a powered USB hub - I
didn't know there was a real difference between them.

Anyone got any thoughts or comments?

Cheers.
Grant. :)

Not tried the usb wireless yet but my addon (AddUH070P) 7 port powered
hub from Novatech works just fine. Less than a tenner.
Cool. How is it for size compared to the RPi board itself? Do you
reckon it can produce enough juice to power a keyboard, mouse, WiFi
dongle & the RPi itself?

Thanks.

Grant.

Its about as big as the pi, and yes I power mine with it using USB
keyboard/ mouse USB printer and a webcam with no probs

I use this one -> http://tinyurl.com/cc2hc46
It's the most stable in my findings, the RPi doesn't like all USB HUB's, trust me, I've been thru alot.
And it's also not very cooperative with HUB's with more than 4 ports.

And more than 2 USB devices at the same time is usually disaster, depends on what kinda devices and how much they "talk" as far as I can judge.

--

Wifi, my findings;

TP-Link TL-WN821N = unstable on debian/raspbian.
TP-Link TL-WN822N = stable on debian/raspbian.

--

When it comes to stable USB mouse/keyboards are also hard to get, stick to the elinux list as mentioned earlier.

--

It's not plug&play, that's for sure. After about a month I've finally got my 2 RPi's running somewhat stable :)

-Morten