Re: [LUG] [RPi] Tiny USB WiFi Dongle? Tiny powered USB hub?

On 22/07/12 15:28, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
My brother has asked if I could have a look into tiny powered USB hubs
and tiny USB WiFi adapters for his RPi - he isn't (yet) much into Linux
and would prefer something that *just works* (ie no need to download
kernel drivers, firmwares, etc... just plug in and configure).

Ordinarily this wouldn't necessarily be a big problem, but with the
added ARMness of the RPi, and the disparity between what works on the
different architecture's kernels, this could potentially make things a
bit more awkward. Add to that the fact that I don't have an RPi to play
with! :D

Now, I have found one "tiny" USB adapter which works, but requires a
bit of messing around (which he's not really happy doing). As far as
the powered hubs are concerned, I really haven't a clue. I was under
the impression that a powered USB hub was a powered USB hub - I didn't
know there was a real difference between them.

Anyone got any thoughts or comments?

Cheers.
Grant. :)

Okay as far as a hub goes, how tiny does it need to be?

I got one from eBay for a couple of quid like this... http://tinyurl.com/czxu4mb

It works although it does come up with an error message when I plug it in.

As for the Wifi adaptor, I'd suggest looking here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

Personally I think that due to the nature of the Raspberry Pi, if he doesn't want to do any fiddling then maybe he's better off hanging on until things are a bit more user friendly.

Rob