Re: [LUG] perhaps silly question. How to get 'flash' version that permits BBC flash video in Open Suse

On 22/07/12 15:54, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> On 21/07/12 18:40, Simon Waters wrote:
>> The current latest Flash for GNU/Linux requires SSE2 instructions in the
>> CPU, this is not present in AMD CPUs before the Athlon 64.
> Thanks for information.
> Tried a few browsers and other things, no ready solution.
> Thanks for bug reference.
> No real concern for me, but does destroy the many older machines I have
> put over to Linux  distros for charity use. As I set these to auto update.
>  They will probably become 'bricks' (at least for 'Flash' on BBC) .At
> least 6 machines in local youth club will no longer be able to watch BBC
> video clips in news! As I note from bug report as these have CPUs
> without relevant sse sse2.
>
> Checked by using live Linux Knoppix on a more modern Pentium T4300 CPI
> machine.  All works ok.
>
> Many thanks for knowledge.
I know that this isn't exactly what you're looking for,  but:

get-iplayer --type=all | grep -i $VAR1
get-iplayer --get $VAR2 --modes=flashhd,flashvhigh

where $VAR1 is whatever iplayer content you want to watch/listen to, and
$VAR2 is the programme ID, which is clearly listed in the output of the
first command. wrap it in a shell script with zenity or whatever for
non-technical users. As the computer(s) are apparently quite weak older
models, change the --modes to whatever level they are capable of
handling: flashhd is probably going to be too taxing.

Obviously this won't help with BBC news clips and general embedded flash
content, it's iplayer specific. For that, your only remaining option is
probably firefox + the download helper extension which will download and
transcode such content for you painlessly.

http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html
http://www.downloadhelper.net/

Regards,

Mat